Public Liability Compensation Claims

Public liability claims can be made if you’ve suffered an accident in a public place that was not your fault. Responsibility may lie with a person, a council or another company who have acted irresponsibly or negligently to cause your accident. If you’ve been injured in an accident in a public place we may be able to help you make a public liability compensation claim.

The person or company who own the public area are ultimately the ones responsible for its maintenance. Therefore they are considered responsible for any accidents that occur on the premises, if the accident occurred by something that could have been preventable with the correct maintenance of the area.

Accidents that occur in public must be compensated by the company that owns the area. However, if you were in a public place on the course of your work, the claim would follow normal work accident compensation procedures.

Types of Public Liability Claim

Claims can be made for public liability accidents in the following cases:

  • Slips, trips or falls from dangerous/faulty footpaths/roads
  • Falling down/tripping on staircases in need of repair
  • Slips or trips in supermarkets, shops, shopping centres, car parks or restaurants
  • Injuries suffered in theme parks and other attractions
  • Being hurt by uncovered or protruding sharp objects
  • Objects falling from height e.g. from scaffolding in a public place

Of course there are many more that could be added to the list. If you have been involved in an accident in a public place then it is worth calling us to see whether you are eligible to make a claim for compensation.

Having evidence to support your claim is beneficial in cases of public liability. Collecting witness statements and taking photographs of offending areas can help make the process run much smoother.

Accidents that occur in a store or other building should be reported to staff and recorded in an accident log book. This means that should they be needed if the case goes to trial, there is some form of record of the accident happening. Similarly, pictures of a faulty pavement should be taken as soon as possible following a tripping accident, before a council has had a chance to repair the damage and chance of using this as evidence is severely reduced.

Making a Public Liability Compensation Claim

Businesses and councils can possess public liability insurance to cover them in the event that an accident happens on their premises. Although this is not yet compulsory, an increasing number of businesses are taking this out to protect them from compensation claims made against them.

Your accident may have prevented you from going to work, or you may want compensating for the pain you have suffered from an injury that would not have been caused if it weren’t for the negligent actions of others.

To make a public injury claim for compensation, contact us today for free, professional advice.

Read some examples of successful public liability compensation claims at Ashley Ainsworth here.

Find out what your claim could be worth